Monday, May 19, 2014

The End!

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." 
- Mark Twain

Alas, it is nearly the end of our high school careers, and I have now completed my senior project in its entirety. I have completed over 65 articles of research averaging 26 pages each for a total of nearly 1700 pages. I have spent 50 hours alongside my mentor who has helped guided me on my mission to find the problems in education, and another 65 hours completing independent components - projects I have assigned myself.

The infamous senior research project has opened my eyes into the world of inequity. Education suffers from a myriad of problems, and multiple sources have pointed out potential solutions. Awaiting the technological classroom revolution, formfitting our curriculum to suit workforce needs, and giving more welfare programs to the disadvantaged have all been on our agenda - But none of that solves the problem.

According to the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, the wealthiest students in America on average receive 4-6 times the individual student expenditures that disadvantaged students receive. This hugely increased amount of resources gives a large disadvantage to students who actually need the federal and state support. In this way, inequality has played a huge part in education, and has to be resolved before anything can be done with our educational system.

If we eliminate relative inequality in America, we will not only solve the crisis of our educational system, but also of our slumping economy, damaged workforce, and hurt society.

No comments:

Post a Comment